Prospective Undergraduate Students

I am a high school or transfer student interested in Statistics and/or Data Science. What steps should I take?

Submit an admission application

Students are asked to indicate which TWO majors they are interested in pursuing. You can list "Statistics" or "Data Science" on your application. Even if you didn't, you can declare the major when you start your first semester at UW.

Sign up for a Visit Day

We will resume Statistics & Data Science visit sessions in the spring 2024 semester. We will also be available at the L&S Majors Fair during Your UW Day for admitted students.

Send in any transfer courses or AP/IB exam scores to UW-Madison

To be awarded credit for a transfer course or AP/IB exam that you've taken, please send the official scores or transcripts to the Office of Admissions and Recruitment after accepting your admittance to UW-Madison.

Register for SOAR

A Data Science or Statistics advisor will help transfer students to enroll in courses at SOAR. General advisors will help Freshmen students enroll, but a Data Science or Statistics advisor can be available for general questions.

Meet with a Data Science/Statistics Major Advisor

Once you are on-campus, we recommend you meet with a major advisor in your first semester to assist in any advising, declaration, and course questions you may have.

Frequently Asked Questions

This is an accordion element with a series of buttons that open and close related content panels.

How do I apply to the major or certificate program?

There is no separate or additional application process to apply for our academic programs. We also do not have a direct admissions process.

Prospective freshmen and transfer students can submit a UW-Madison application via the Common Application or UW System Application. On the application, you can list two academic major programs they are interested in on their application form. After you have been admitted and made to a deposit to attend UW-Madison, you can declare our academic programs once you start your first semester on-campus.

I am a current UW-Madison student. How do I declare?

Students who are already on-campus should navigate to our program page links below for instructions on how to declare.

How can I check if my courses will transfer?

Students can create a free student account on Transferology to see if any of the courses they have taken or plan to take would transfer to UW-Madison. Students then can check to see if those courses appear on our major requirements pages on the Guide. For courses that do not appear in Transferology, students will need to submit syllabi, once admitted, so that a proper equivalency can be assigned.

We are not involved in the course equivalency process. If you have further questions, please contact the Office of Admissions & Recruitment at or consult the Transfer Your Credit website.

I have questions and want to meet with an advisor. Who can I contact to set up a meeting?

Advisors have varying availability depending on the time of the year. You are welcome to email your questions to our Recruitment Coordinator and we will do our best to respond within 1-2 business days. Visit opportunities for Statistics & Data Science information sessions are listed under the “sign up for a visit day” section above when available.

What careers can I get with something in this field?

Check out the Data Science Skills Sheet and Statistics Skills Sheet to explore career-related information in these two fields.

SuccessWorks is the career services unit for L&S students and a great resource for students in career and internship assistance which they can utilize as a UW-Madison student. Data Science is part of the Technology, Data & Analytics Career Community.