To facilitate the success of students taking our introductory courses, the Department of Statistics offers FREE drop-in learning support for students enrolled in STAT 240, 301, 324, and 371.
Fall 2022 In-Person Hours:
- Mondays: 3:30PM-6:30PM
- Tuesdays: 12:30PM-2:20PM & 5:30PM-7:30PM
- Wednesdays: 12:30PM – 3:30PM
- Thursdays: 12:30PM-2:20PM & 4:00PM-7:00PM
- Fridays: 12:30PM-4:30PM
CLOSED Thanksgiving week: 11/21-11/25.
Closes for the semester on 12/14.
We do our best with course coverage. These are the times a TA or peer mentor is available for specific courses. Each block represents 30 minute time block.
SLC schedule updated 9.27.22
Located at Service Memorial Institute Room 133 (SMI 133).
470 N. Charter St.
Madison, WI 53706
When using the Statistics Learning Center:
Be aware that SMI 133 is used as the Learning Center and is also a classroom, please only enter the SLC during posted hours, otherwise you may be disrupting a class.
The Statistics Learning Center is intended for students who are enrolled in STAT 240, 301, 324 & 371 who need help on homework or understanding concepts. If you need a study space you are welcome to use the MSC lobby or lounge in MSC 1205.
Please have your questions ready & be respectful of the space and those occupying the space.
What We Do
Stop in and take advantage of learning support provided by:
- Getting assistance in a small group or 1-on-1 tutoring
- Discussing concepts from the text or lecture that need further clarification or explanation
- Obtaining a deeper and more satisfying grasp of statistical concepts
Questions or concerns should be directed to the Learning Center Coordinator. If unavailable, please contact the department office, Room 1220 Medical Sciences Center.
Academic Match Program
The Academic Match (AM) program matches student tutors with students seeking weekly help in high enrollment academic subjects. AM provides group tutoring in Math, Biology, Physics, Chemistry, Foreign Languages, Economics, Statistics, and more! AM tutoring groups are led by one tutor and include up to a maximum of eight students. Groups meet for two hours every week.
Online Academic Resources
Online learning can be daunting and is new for many students. For academic support and tips on how to be successful in an online course, see the resources below:
Connect with Classmates
Demic is a mobile app a team of UW-Madison students created to help connect UW-Madison students with their classmates.
How it works:
- Choose what you’re looking for
- Friends, study buddies, classmates on-call
- Choose which attributes you want to have in common, like academic year, major, availability, interests, and more
- Decide whether each classmate is someone you’d like to connect with or choose to skip them for now
You’ll be matched with a classmate only if you both indicate interest in connecting, so you can message them with confidence!