Students declared in the Statistics major and are interested in academic advising should contact or schedule an appointment with an advisor via Starfish. Students who are not declared in the Statistics major and are interested in academic advising can also schedule an appointment with an advisor via Starfish.
For general questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Remote drop-in advising is available to current UW-Madison students. Remote drop-in advising is for major declaration and quick questions (i.e. course swap/change/enroll questions). Course planning, graduate school preparation, research/internship questions, and other questions that will last more than 15 minutes should be discussed during a scheduled advising appointment.
Remote Drop-in Hours (starting the week August 31, 2020):
Tuesdays 8-10 AM CST
Thursdays 1-3 PM CST (No Drop-In Advising on November 26, 2020 [Thanksgiving Day])
How to Access Remote Drop-In Advising:
To access remote drop-in advising, students will need WebEx and an internet connection. Dialing in through your phone is not supported for drop-in advising. If you are currently outside the United States, please download and use the WiscVPN to access WebEx. If you need accommodations for remote drop-in advising, please email email@example.com.
- For Statistics Advising, please click on the room for the appropriate day:
- For Data Science Advising, please click on the room for the appropriate day:
- Click on the appropriate link. Once prompted, enter your log-in information (This should be your NetId and password).
- Wait by your computer until you are admitted into the room. Please note that this can take up to 15 minutes depending on the number of students utilizing drop-in hours.
- Please have your student id ready to share with the advisor once admitted into the room.
Scheduling An Appointment
To schedule an appointment with an advisor via Starfish:
*Due to COVID-19, face-to-face advising appointments will be canceled until further notice. Advisors will be available via phone, email, and Microsoft Office Teams. For more information regarding virtual advising, see here.
To schedule an appointment with an advisor, please continue to utilize Starfish.
- Login to Starfish
- Click the menu icon in the upper-left corner
- Click My Success Network
- To find an advisor or service, click the Show Other Services button under “Your Services” or type the name of the service you’re looking for in the search box
- Click Schedule
- Select your reason for making an appointment – if you have more than one reason, pick the one that you want to talk about the most. You can add more details later on.
- Search the calendar or select your preferred date (dates with available time slots will be bolded on the calendar).
- Select the date/time you want and then confirm.
- Double check the person/service, time, date, and location. Make sure to select phone or online as your location.
- Add in any notes you want to share. If you selected a phone appointment, be sure to leave your phone number.
- Click Save Changes
You should receive an email confirmation with the appointment details and you’ll see the appointment listed on your Dashboard in Starfish which you can get to from the main menu.
You can also visit the Statistics Advising Page directly on Starfish and choose an advisor to schedule an appointment.
Where We Are Located
We are located in Medical Sciences Center (1300 University Ave.). Enter through the main entrance on University Ave. On the right-hand side, you will see Room 1205. Enter that room and head toward the back of the room. Advisors are located in Room 1223 (Alissa Wilson), 1225 (Laura Juszczyk), and 1227 (Sara Rodock).
1223 Medical Sciences Center
To schedule an appointment with Alissa, click here.
Alissa joined the advising team in Fall 2019. She received a Bachelor of Science, majoring in Geography and Environmental Studies, from the University of Wisconsin – Madison and a Master’s of Science in Administrative Leadership – Adult, Continuing, and Higher Education Administration from the University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee. Alissa is excited to be working with students majoring in statistics and is ready to help them find ways to achieve their academic and professional goals.
1225 Medical Sciences Center
To schedule an appointment with Laura, click here.
Laura joined the advising team in July 2018. She received a Bachelor of Science, with a major in Statistics, from the University of Wisconsin – La Crosse and a Masters of Education in Higher Education from Marquette University. Laura enjoys working with students who are excited about statistics and how students can utilize their statistics major.
1227 Medical Sciences Center
To schedule an appointment with Sara, please see the Data Science Major page.
Sara joined the department in Summer 2018. Prior to working in Statistics and Data Science, she worked for 10 years in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences as an advisor and in the Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies for 8 years. Sara is a Badger alumnus from the History department. She enjoys assisting students with exploration of the Statistics and (coming soon) Data Science majors, working with our MS Statistics: Data Science students, and helping students plan for their future careers and/or continuing education.
Questions about course enrollment? Please view the Statistics Enrollment FAQ.